"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea."
-
Lu T'ung

Wednesday 4 August 2010

The Path of Tea (Teashop)

(Photo is not mine, credit to Finijo)

The Path of Tea

2340 West Alabama, Houston Texas, 77098

713-252-4473

www.thepathoftea.com

I recently had the pleasure of experiencing this shop (twice) while I was in Houston. The first time visiting a friend from University, the second time on a road trip to see the Corpse Flower bloom. There is much to be said of this shop, it overall ranks fairly well. (I'd give it an 8 out of 10).

While there has been much discussion in the Texas tea community about the owner and proprietor, who comes off as a very sweet lady (though needs to spend a lot less time talking about the pH of water). The opinions that I have gained about her, Thia McKann, is that she has a tad bit of a complex. I was told a story about the first time a shop opened up in Dallas, that the owners received someone, sent by her, who wanted to make sure that they knew she was the ONLY certified tea master in Texas, and that they were not.

While I am not one for titles, this particularly irritates me. You can see direct evidence for this on her web-site, (link provided above), of her stating this fact("only 14 in the country"). Talking to other people, I have yet to find anyone that actually believes in her certification, as I heard talk that it was less real, and more for show, certification. Perhaps a blog entry should be titled on certifications in the tea community. Saying this I do have the highest respect for the Japanese Tea Ceremony, but as I don't see what her certification is in, I don't see what the point of saying that is, if not for show.

Regardless, this is about the shop, and I have to say that the environment was very nice. A very distinct Japanese element is held in the shop, with minimalist themes throughout the shop. I particularly enjoyed the fact that there was a smelling/tasting/inspecting area for the teas to one side, though many of the teas needed to be changed. This allowed for people to inspect the quality of the leaves, and judge them to the others to finalize there decision. A major plus in my book.

I ordered the Emerald Lily (Chinese Green), and was very pleasantly surprised. In-fact I even purchased extra, and look forward to sharing it with my friends. It was very pleasant to try this tea. My friend ordered a Lychee flavoured black tea and she was pleasantly surprised as well.

The madame of the shop, also makes a note to be particularly healthy. Everything (that I could find) in the shop that would use sugar, used a health alternative, (Xylitol), which tasted very similar, but is much easier on the body to digest. I particularly approved of this element, considering the fact that diabetes is a growing problem in the world.

The atmosphere in the shop was nice, busy, but very mellow and quite, not too noisy, and very relaxing. I also particularly liked the fact that you got to choose your tea cup. All the tea-cups are in ceramic, Japanese mug style, but they are different, and beautiful, adding a nice element for you to match it to your tea, allowing for you to pretend you are in a Japanese Tea Ceremony.

A very wide selection of tea, and they charge by the pot size, not by the type of tea. This is an element that I particularly like, as it encourages people to try new types of tea, not being limited by their wallet. Though when one does find a tea (as I found my Emerald Lily), it does tend to go on the pricier side. The madame of the shop swears by organic, and as a grower of produce....I see how people often trick the system, and am generally more skeptical of organic than I should be. All in all though, a nice shop, with a nice atmosphere, with nice tea. The only disadvantages are the tea can be pricey (only when purchasing though), and I wish the madame would take down her advertisement of her being the only tea expert, as it rubs people the wrong way. If she wishes to let people know she is a tea expert, let her say it in a less gaudy manner, and show it through wisdom, not through a piece of paper.

Again I encourage everyone to inspect this shop for themselves, as it is certainly worth the trip. Please let me know what you think about it, or any thoughts/comments/concerns at all.

-Tea Fanatic

(http://finijo.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html) (Source of photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment